Specialized Needs Behavioral Health Unit
The Specialized Needs Unit (SNU) within Aurora Behavioral Health System is a specifically designed program developed to meet the needs of children and adolescents with Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities (I/DD).
The first of its’ kind in Arizona; this specialized unit was created to provide intensive treatment services for children and adolescents (ages 8-17) who have received developmental and/or intellectual diagnoses and present with acute behavioral concerns which impede their daily functioning.
Special Needs Treatment and Programming
Aurora Behavioral Health System integrates a holistic approach to all treatment services. The Specialized Needs Unit, housed within our Tempe hospital, utilizes a biopsychosocial model of care that focuses on individualized needs as well as strengths and challenges. Specialized assessments have been created to embody the holistic approach to treatment which help to identify and analyze varying areas of life that may contribute to behavioral concerns.
Treatment programming employs the use the Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), Positive Behavioral Support (PBS), as well as specialized psychiatric care. It is always Aurora’s intent to prescribe the minimal amount of medications in accordance with evidence-based practices to enhance the quality of life. The Specialized Needs Unit model of care is to provide individualized treatment services that focus on reintegration back to home and community.
- Children & Adolescents Ages 8 - 17
- An Established Developmental and/or Intellectual Diagnosis
- Meeting Criteria for Level I, Inpatient Care
Based on Clinical Need, Comprehensive Assessments Will Include:
- Analysis of Psychiatric and Behavioral Needs
- Speech Language Pathology
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Environmental and Familial Factors
- Sleep Hygiene and Disturbances
- Medical Condition Analysis (Seizure Disorders, Gastrointestinal Issues, Pain)
Specialized Needs Treatment Programming:
- Multi-Faceted and Holistic Therapeutic Model
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)/ Positive Behavioral Support (PBS)
- Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA)
- Behavioral Intervention/Support Planning (BIP/BSP)
- Certified Education
- Structured and Consistent Programming
- Verbal Behavior Support
- Animal Assisted Therapy
- Increased Staff to Patient Ratios
- Family/Caregiver/Team Training
- Expected Family/Caregiver Involvement in Treatment
Help is only a phone call away. We accept admissions 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For more information, please contact our 24/7 Patient Services Helpline at: (877) 870-7012