Our goal is to provide the highest quality of care for our patients and to help keep them safe while they are in our care. In order to do so, we have guidelines around what can and cannot be brought for a patient’s stay. Many of these guidelines are in response to mental health laws and regulations, and all of our guidelines seek to protect the safety of our patients.
What to Bring
- Please bring only two to three days of appropriate clothing and no more than one suitcase. We offer laundry facilities on site. (See below for examples of clothing.)
- Insurance card and at least one picture ID.
- List of prescribed medication(s) or medication bottles. These will be locked and only dispensed by order of treating MD.
- Name(s) and telephone number(s) of primary care physician, psychiatrist, psychologist and/or therapist.
- Legal documents identifying custody for adolescent patients whose legal guardian is not their biological parent, or their biological parents are separated or divorced.
- Be sure to find out what your patient code is and pass the information on to family, friends and mental health professionals that you want to call or visit you. They will have to know your patient code in order to get in touch with you once you have been admitted.
We want to make sure your stay is as safe and comfortable as possible. Our dress code is used to maintain a therapeutic atmosphere. We also ask your visitors follow the dress code. The following items related to dress are prohibited:
- Tank tops/halter tops/bare midriff
- Short shorts/skirts
- Undershirts worn as shirts
- Bare feet
- Hat, caps, or any other head covering
- High heels or steel toed shoes
- Clothing referencing drug use, profanity, violence or disrespect for others or any sexual content
- Cosmetics and cosmetic tools
Your pants need to cover your undergarments. Shoes or slippers must be worn outside of patient rooms. And, sleepwear should be worn at bedtime only. The staff reserves the right to instruct patients on inappropriate dress.
Contraband Items List
This list does not include all items that are contraband (prohibited). Items that our staff believes to be potentially dangerous may also be included.
- Weapons including guns, brass knuckles, and martial arts paraphernalia
- Illicit or street drugs and drug paraphernalia
- Aurora East prohibits any tobacco products. Aurora West allows cigarettes. Both hospitals prohibit any tobacco related paraphernalia.
- Food and beverages from outside of the hospital, including alcoholic beverages
- Any liquid containing alcohol (regardless of %) – except shampoo, conditioner and deodorant
- Belts, drawstrings, suspenders, shoelaces, overalls or coveralls
- Aerosol and non-aerosol spray cans
- Glass including bottles, vases and drinking glasses
- Disposable razors of any kind (Staff will supply disposable razors that will be stored.)
- Mirrors of any kind
- Sharp or edged objects including knives, scissors, knitting needles, thumb tacks, frames, nails files or clippers
- Metal combs, including hair picks, rattail combs, etc.
- All medications including herbal supplements, vitamins or over-the counter medications
- Sewing needles, safety pins and straight pins
- Wire or plastic coat hangers
- Any electronic entertainment device including TVs, radios, electrical appliances, handheld gaming devices, PDAs, MP3 players, computers, cell phones, etc.
- Movies and magazines of any kind
- Stuffed animals
- Personal linens and/or pillows
- Hard shoes, such as steel toe or worker boots, and high heels
- Hats and other type of head gear (hand bands) or head covering, including hoodies
- Hand bags, purses
- Plastic bags
- Personal care items with strings or sharp edges such as tooth picks, dental floss, Q-tips, tampons, etc.
- Curling irons, flat irons or other personal care products that heat up
- Any potential fire hazard such as candles, lighters or matches
- No cash (money)
- Jewelry of any kind other than a flat, round, well fitted wedding band
- Luggage of any kind (If you bring a suitcase, duffel bag, etc. with your belongings to check in, we will store them in a secure location for you.)
- Toxic chemicals including bleach, white out, nail polish remover, nail polish, markers, etc.
- Ink pens or pencils with erasers and/or metal tips
- Spiral books, including notebooks